Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Double Chocolate Sunday with Greenspan and Keller







So, I was working on the TWD project of World Peace Cookies as well as trying bouchons. Let's just say the World Peace Cookies should be served at the UN. They rock! My first attempt at Bouchons... well they need more work. For the cookies, the chocolate I usually use E. Guittard bittersweet 72% cocao was out of stock! So I substituted with Ghirardelli baking chips bittersweet 60% cacao. Not bad. Only challenge is the chips still need to be chopped a bit. Also found out that the cookies need to set when they first come out of the oven or they will crumble. Thank you Dorie for a great recipe!






Now, Thomas Keller, you have given me a challenge. The namesake bouchons of the cookbook titled Bouchon. Mmm, it will definately take a second try. Let's just say that my bouchons (French for cork) didn't look as smart as they were supposed to. I ended up with quite a butter leakage out of the top of the molds, the baking sheet and onto the floor of the oven. Two days later I still smell it when I turn the oven on. The good news was finding Vosges haut chocolat Red Fire Bar. Keller recommended Valrhona Equatoriale 55% bittersweet, but no luck finding it. The Vosges was really nice and the product info sounds cool.



Better luck next weekend!






Also, took 5 pounds of onions and just carmelized the heck out of them. Delicious! Great on steaks for dinner on Sunday and also a little snack Tuesday night as I am baking of the remainders of both chocolate recipies!

3 comments:

Shari said...

Sounds like a fun day of baking!

Unknown said...

Glad you liked the World Peace Cookies - they look fantastic.

TeaLady said...

The cookies were good weren't they. Nice job.