Saturday, November 8, 2008

Yellow Cake; It's not like it was in school!

Saturday 08 November
This morning was my every other Saturday baking at Open Arms of Minnesota. I am usually there for 2-2.5 hrs and typically produce over 300 servings of what I am making. To learn more about Open Arms of Minnesota check out the website at http://www.openarmsmn.org/ So what did I make today? Yup, yellow cake, and 420 servings of it! It was a little retro to think about yellow cake. I was right back in junior high study hall helping the lunch ladies. But this yellow cake is nothing like the old school sheet cakes. This was scratch baking at it's finest. I was working with 18 lbs of butter, 33 lbs of sugar, 144 eggs, 28 lbs flour, 21 quarts of buttermilk, etc. You get the idea. And we ran out of buttermilk so we made some from scratch. Milk with lemon juice and mix. The recipe was so large I had to make it in halves and then still have to use three bus tubs to finish a final mix. It looked great, and smelled really nice! A fun way to spend 2.5 hrs on a Saturday.

Now I am home making Choclate-Glazed Chocolate Tart for a dinner party tonight. This comes from the September 2008 Paris issue of Gourmet. It is easy to make, beautiful and delicious. What more could you ask for?!

No comments: